Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Our little Treasure

In February of this year Chris asked if we should bring a 14 week old puppy home that one of his clients wanted to give to him.  I broke down and said yes.  A few weeks into it I regretted my decision - I was ready to ship him off to South America - or wherever someone would take him!  My 6 year old promptly put me in my place, "You know mom, he's not even potty-trained, you really need to get him trained first."  Ouch.  She sometimes knows best!  

We kept the dog and I was still having a hard time having love for him in my heart until he decided to take a trip to the local animal shelter.  He got out one evening and since he didn't have any tags he was taken to the animal shelter.  We looked online that evening and saw his picture on their website.  $142 later we had paid for his licence, late fee, shots (that he didn't need), and room and board.  YIKES!  Needless to say my heart has softened for him since he's been home.  We even took him camping this past weekend.  He got to swim in a lake and ride in a boat!  He was up a little earlier than I would have liked but he did pretty good, considering he's only about 10 months old and it was his first out-of-the-house experience (besides his stint behind bars).  During this trip we had a handful of people ask what kind of dog he was, which I was kind of surprised by - I thought it was obvious that he was a Chihuahua but then we met a couple who said he looked exactly like her Dachshund-Chihuahua mix (he's pretty long for a Chihuahua) and that they are very good tempered and good natured dogs - which fits Treasure to a tee.  So perhaps he's a mix - we'll never know for sure!

Treasure behind bars
kids dressing him up
Will you PLEASE take me out of these clothes?!
Ellie with her puppy

No comments:

Post a Comment